How it all began 1946

Hutton le Hole Playing Field

On January 25th 1946 F J Burnley made a statement to the Hutton le Hole Village Hall Committee of which he was chairman.

On behalf of himself and Mrs Burnley he offered to convey to the Committee of Management of the Village Hall enough of the land known as Clay Garth for the playing of cricket, bowls, etc. as a memorial to those who served during the World War 1939 – 1945.

The Rev. C G Thompson, vicar of the parish, said they had listened to the proposal with interest and gratitude and he moved that the gift be accepted with thankfulness. This proposal was accepted unanimously and a sub-committee was elected to carry out the proposals suggested by Mr Burnley.

The members of the committee were:

Rev. C G Thompson

R W Crosland

W Trenholme

Hubert Smith

Percy Smith

J Simpson

R Hayes

F J Burnley

Mrs F J Burnley

With power to add.

In August 1946 it was decided to ask Yorkshire Rural Community Council to initiate an application for a grant from the Ministry of Education towards the cost of the layout and equipment of the Playing Field.

By August 1947 Mr Burnley reported that he had obtained possession of the field – Clay Garth by application at Malton County Court in the previous July (See newspaper article ‘Playing Field for Hutton le Hole’) and that application could now be made to the Ministry of Education for permission to start the layout of the field for which the firm Delahope, York had made tenders. At the end of August the company sent in scrapers to level the field.

A Public Meeting was held in September 1947 to consider means of raising £300 during the next two years – this being considered the amount that it might fairly be expected that the village could raise. An Appeal Committee was formed.

By March 1948 the Ministry of Education had approved in principle the layout of the Playing Field. The Ministry proposed that their inspector, Mr Tompkins, should visit the site to give his advice. When Mr Tompkins came to Hutton le Hole he approved the plan for the layout in general but he suggested the addition of a Practice net area which was agreed to.

In July 1948 the Ministry of Education offered a grant of £1940 this being £1750 towards the estimated capital cost of £2700 and £190 towards the cost of equipment.

Things began to move. The Town and Country Planning Committee gave their approval of the site for the use and development of a Playing Field. The Central Land Board stated that no Development Charge was payable on the land. The Ministry of Education wrote that an immediate starting date had been authorised by the Ministry of Works.

According to the first plans the Tennis Club Court was to be a grass court but by November 1948 the idea of having a semi-hard court was considered to be advisable.

The Secretary (Mrs Burnley) visited the Ministry of Education to ask for a further grant towards the cost of the semi-hard court which it was estimated would cost an additional £206 – 10 – 00. In May 1949 the Secretary reported that the Ministry of Education had offered to increase the grant to £2140 this practically covering the increased cost for the semi-hard tennis court.

By July 1949 the scheme had progressed so far that it was decided to hold a conference of the people interested in the Playing Field. Mr H S E Snelson Secretary of the Yorkshire Rural Community Council attended the meeting. He congratulated the village on having what, in his opinion, was the most beautiful Playing Field in Yorkshire.